Re: The error message for uploading a non html document

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:00:25 +0100
To: public-evangelist@w3.org, 'www-validator@w3.org' list <www-validator@w3.org>

A while ago I made a suggestion about providing more information about
Content-types
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2004Apr/0175.html>.

Some people thought this was a good idea
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-evangelist/2004Apr/
0007.html>, but nothing appears to have been done about it yet.

I've found some time to make a start on it. I haven't yet got all the
information I want in it, and it needs some polish, but you can find a
draft at: <http://dorward.me.uk/www/content-type/>.

Could people please make comments, suggestions, etc.

If anybody would like to put together some instructions for finding out
the Content-type in MSIE[1] and setting IIS to send the correct
content-types, it would be much appreciated. (Screenshots are good,
screenshots sent to the mailing list are bad - please send any
privately, or (better) put them online and include a link.)

[1] Could you check that it states the true Content-type though please?
i.e. doesn't say text/html if it is text/plain but starts with <html>.
I know that MSIE can treat text/plain as text/html, but I don't know if
it lies about it in the information window.

(Hopefully this message will not come through twice - as I sent it
using the wrong email address the first time round - and it got held
for me to approve it being archived)

--
David Dorward
      <http://dorward.me.uk/>