Re: apostrophe (Was [VE][139] New Error Message Suggestion)

Ian,

On Jun 1, 2004, at 14:17, Ian wrote:

> I am completely bewildered at why I cannot use an apostrophe, a
> perfectly valid punctuation mark commonly used in standard english, in
> my text according to your validator.

The bewilderment is unlikely to end unless you give us the address of
the page you were trying to validate. If you do provide us with this
address, however, I am certain there will be an explanation as to why
using this apostrophe the way you did made your page invalid.

>  IE 6 and Netscape 7 have no problem displaying it.

The validator's job is to tell you whether the document uses valid
markup or not. Your browsers' job is to try and display your document.
The fact that the browsers accept a page marked invalid by the
validator page is therefore hardly a proof of quality of the document,
only that the browsers' fallback and guessing mechanisms work well...

Thank you
--
olivier