Re: [VE][127] New Error Message Suggestion

On May 29, 2004, at 0:28, DU wrote:
> Hello W3C validator people,

Hello doctor!

> I think that the <script language="javascript"> is sooooo common on the
> web that you should design a message just for it.

Unfortunately our hands are a bit tied by our underlying parser that
only has one generic message for a required attribute not specified,
and does not give us any easy way to add error cases only for <script>.
Hence the generic explanation, with some focus on <script> and <style>,
common cases.

> Whenever possible, the validator message should EXPLAIN the direct,
> concrete benefit(s) (quantitatively or qualitatively speaking) of
> correcting a validation error

Arguable. While in theory that's a good goal, people validating are
likely to want to fix the errors anyway, explaning "HOW to fix" has
more importance than "WHY fix". And there is only so much prose one is
ready to read through, so choices have to be made...

Thanks
--
olivier