W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-validator@w3.org > January 2004

WG: Help needed - Installation of W3C MarkUp Validation Service at local Linux Machine

From: Mag. Leonhard Landrock (DLS) <Leonhard.Landrock@landrock.at>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:09:20 +0100
Message-ID: <01C3E64F.F6B110B0.Leonhard.Landrock@landrock.at>
To: "W3C Validator (E-Mail)" <www-validator@w3.org>

Hi Olivier!

Thank you for your response.

The hint to use another type.cfg file was exactly what there was needed. I 
replaced version "1.6 2002/11/26 21:40:19" with version "1.4.2.2 2002/07/08 
02:25:02". Now it works mostly.

The reason I did not use all of the compressed validator sources 
(validator.tar.gz) was, that I just got some strange error with that code.

Now something diffrent (and just for information - no real request). For 
some files I get the following error:

*** snip ***
File:  	index.xhtml

Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 25 it 
contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8 (in other 
words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character 
Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and the character 
encoding indication.
*** snip ***

If I use the "extended interface" and set the encoding to "iso-8859-1 
(Western Europe)" it works. I believe that this is an error relating to the 
used xhtml file. I have to investigate this further.

Beside that there are also some minor issues but I will try to get solve 
that on my on.

Once again, thank you for your help.
Leonhard.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von:	olivier Thereaux [SMTP:ot@w3.org]
Gesendet am:	Donnerstag, 29. Jänner 2004 00:13
An:	Leonhard.Landrock@landrock.at
Cc:	W3C Validator (E-Mail)
Betreff:	Re: Help needed - Installation of W3C MarkUp Validation Service at 
local Linux Machine


Hi Leonhard,


On Jan 28, 2004, at 21:27, Mag. Leonhard Landrock (DLS) wrote:

>
> Hi everyone!
>
> I tried to install the W3C HTML Validator on a PC running SuSE Linux
> 8.2.
>
> Here is what I did:
> ---------------------
[snip] so far so good.

> 5.) I replaced the following files from the compressed Validator
> Sources
> (validator.tar.gz) with newer versions from the public-cvs:

You should probably have tested before doing that.
There are two branches in the CVS and they are incompatible (including
one which is too unstable to be used), and I think you took files from
both, which
probably is the reason for the errors you get.

> And now the result:
> -----------------------
>
> 1.) HTML-Page
> Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its content type
> is
> text/html, which is not currently supported by this service.

Hmm, sounds like an issue with type.cfg... your validator doesn't know
its content types any more. You said you took type.cfg version 1.6, and
the CVS log for this file says it's in HEAD (dangerous), and states
that there is a backward-incompatible change made, which supports my
theory of mixed branches.

I suggest you reinstall (sorry) either the packaged version, or from
CVS using only the validator-0_6_0-branch branch.

Hope this helps. Tell us how it evolves.
--
olivier
Received on Thursday, 29 January 2004 04:27:10 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 25 April 2012 12:14:10 GMT