Re: Help needed - Installation of W3C MarkUp Validation Service at local Linux Machine

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:13:06 +0900
Cc: "W3C Validator (E-Mail)" <www-validator@w3.org>
To: "Leonhard.Landrock@landrock.at" <Leonhard.Landrock@landrock.at>

Hi Leonhard,

On Jan 28, 2004, at 21:27, Mag. Leonhard Landrock (DLS) wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I tried to install the W3C HTML Validator on a PC running SuSE Linux
> 8.2.
>
> Here is what I did:
> ---------------------
[snip] so far so good.

> 5.) I replaced the following files from the compressed Validator
> Sources
> (validator.tar.gz) with newer versions from the public-cvs:

You should probably have tested before doing that.
There are two branches in the CVS and they are incompatible (including
one which is too unstable to be used), and I think you took files from
both, which
probably is the reason for the errors you get.

> And now the result:
> -----------------------
>
> 1.) HTML-Page
> Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because its content type
> is
> text/html, which is not currently supported by this service.

Hmm, sounds like an issue with type.cfg... your validator doesn't know
its content types any more. You said you took type.cfg version 1.6, and
the CVS log for this file says it's in HEAD (dangerous), and states
that there is a backward-incompatible change made, which supports my
theory of mixed branches.

I suggest you reinstall (sorry) either the packaged version, or from
CVS using only the validator-0_6_0-branch branch.

Hope this helps. Tell us how it evolves.
--
olivier