Re: Minimized Tag Values in XHTML Validator

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:04:42 +0000 (GMT)
To: Travis Breaux <tdbreaux@cs.uoregon.edu>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Travis Breaux wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I was validating a page with an expanded attribute value for which HTML
> 4.0 allows minimized attributes. For example:
>
> <input type=... checked> becomes <input type=... checked="checked"/>

The checked in the abbreviated form is an attribute value, not an
attribute name.  Thus under SGML rules it could be short for
	<input foo="checked">
but not for
	<input checked="foo">
The reason it works unambiguously is that there's only the one
tokenised attribute for <input> which can take the value "checked".

> Unless there is a place in the specification that requires expanded
> attribute names must equal attribute values, the XHTML validator is
> incorrect. Could someone please clarify this behavior? Was it intended, if
> so why, or was it a mistake, i.e., implemented from the example and not
> the specification?

The DTD specifies the attribute value as "checked" or nothing at all.

--
Nick Kew