Web validator bug: doesn't catch unquoted href value

From: Jeremiah Morris <jeremiah@cnidr.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:47:18 -0500
To: www-validator@w3.org

I noticed a bit of a problem in the web validator.  The following page
does not trigger the desired error message:

The key bit is the unquoted url in the anchor tag.  I would have
expected the message "an attribute value must be a literal unless it
contains only name characters".  Instead, it does not complain about
the opening tag's characters, and it uses the final slash to close the
anchor tag.  Instead, I get a "end tag for element 'A' which is not
open" message.

I'm sorry that I don't have time to submit more than a bug report at
the moment; hopefully this will sufficiently interest someone else to
work on a patch.

Thanks for a great application!
Jeremiah Morris