Re: Successful (and failed) install

From: Pete Prodoehl <pete.prodoehl@cygnusinteractive.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:32:45 -0600
To: www-validator@w3.org

I'm back to report that I finally got the validator working on Mac OS X
10.2.8 (with Perl 5.6.1)

libiconv was giving me problems, so I ended up doing some more reading here:

   http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/

Which suggested that gettext might be needed, and then a re-install of
libiconv. I did those things, and then reinstalled Text::Iconv and all
was well with that.

Just one more problem... The check script was not reading the Header
value in the validator.conf file. I had edited a lot of values in the
file, and didn't know why this one was special. I believe it was because
the line:

Header	/Library/WebServer/Documents/validator/header.html

had spaces between the name/value pair instead of a tab. I changed this
and it all started working!

I suppose it would have done well to read this in the validator.conf file:

# Basic Key/Value pairs, separated by TABs.

I had made the last few edits to the file using pico and when I
copied/pasted the line, it changed the tab into spaces, which I didn't
realize until I opened in jEdit...

All in all, not an extremely difficult install, just a couple of
'gotchas' along the way.

Pete