Re: text for error #141

From: Ian Stuart <ian.stuart@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:18:26 +0000
To: Validator list <www-validator@w3.org>

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 09:13, David Dorward wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2004, at 08:45, Ian Stuart wrote:
>

> > Error 141 if for a duplicate ID. Here is my proposal for the text for
> >
> > "This attribute may only appear once in any (x)html document.
>
> This is wrong, the attribute may appear many times in a document,
> but each time it must have a different value.
My incorrect phrasing (which is why I like the idea of dicussion &
discourse)

> Perhaps:
>
> "An id is a unique identifier, each time this attribute is used in a
> document
> it must have a different value. If you are using this attribute as a
> hock for
> style sheets it may be more appropriate to use classes (which group
> elements)."
That reads much better than my version :-)
Thanks.

PS: "hock" => "hook"

--

 Ian Stuart, Perl Laghu. EDINA, Edinburgh University.

| Just because the voices are not real               |
| it does not mean you should ignore their advice.   |
| Works web site:    http://edina.ac.uk/             |
| Personal web site: http://lucas.ucs.ed.ac.uk/      |