Re: [VE][257] Error Message Feedback

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Miskovic wrote:

> Hi, I have gotten this error: an attribute value specification must be an
> attribute value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified
>
> for this line of code: <meta http-equiv=content-type content="text/html;
> charset=iso-8859-1" />

You have probably misanalyzed the error message. Look again, check the
explanation, and post the URL if symptoms recur.

> Also, I get a few of these errors: there is no attribute "background"
>
> for lines of code such as this: <td width="42"
> background="images/main/sidebar_left.png" height="172"> and clearly the
> attribute is specified and allowed in the XHTML 1.0 Transitional
> specifications to my knowledge.

Stop relying on your memory, and check the specifications (ultimately, the
DTDs). The background attribute for <td> was _never_ part of any HTML
specification. (And it's simple to use CSS instead.)

> For a macromedia Flash embed movie I receive this error: element "embed"
> undefined

Quite simple, is it not?

> But the code was generated by macromedia Flash

Irrelevant. It still isn't valid for any HTML specification.