Re: Validator allows designers to do invalid nesting through <ins>

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 19:03, Gerald Himmelein wrote:
> However, if you surround the invalid nesting with <ins> tags,
> validator.w3.org declares the syntax to be valid:

> Paragraph text
> <ins>
> <ul>

Its a limitation of DTDs. There isn't anyway to express that X is
allowed as a child of Y *unless* Y is a child of Z.

> I've got a web designer here who swears that the <ins> usage is
> completely valid because, after all, validator.w3.org confirms it.

While it is *valid* HTML, it is non-conforming. Validation only checks
for a subset of conformance to the specification (i.e. that which can be
expressed using the DTD).

To quote:

        The INS and DEL elements must not contain block-level content
        when these elements behave as inline elements.

                ILLEGAL EXAMPLE:
                The following is not legal HTML.

                <P>
                <INS><DIV>...block-level content...</DIV></INS>
                </P>

 -<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#h-9.4>

--
David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>