Re: [Fwd: http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-i18n-html-tech-char-20040509/]

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 01:33:01 +0300 (EEST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Nick Kew wrote:

> > > This page was sent as text/html but uses tags of the form <a name="foo"
> > > /> which does not actually close the <a> tag in conforming HTML4
> > > user-agents (I'm using safari 1.2.2).
>
> Indeed, this is why HTML4 is better-suited to the web today than XHTML.

Well, the conclusion is surely correct, but <a name="foo"/> is actually
quite tricky in HTML4. Technically, it closes the <a> _tag_ all too well.
And while it does not close the <a> _element_, the user will usually get a
fairly confusing error message. Few authors understand that e.g.
<a name="foo"/>/
is perfectly valid HTML4.