From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:42:20 +0100
To: Ryan Holliday <phidipides2@yahoo.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 17:55, Ryan Holliday wrote:
> Apologies if this has been addressed before, I am not
> a regular reader of the list.  All of the pages of my
> site were previously marked as valid by the online
> validator (http://validator.w3.org/), but I was
> running into errors with <a name="foo" />

<a name="foo" /> is perfectly *valid*. Elements with a non-empty content
model may still be empty and minimised - at least as far as XML is

The problem is that it violates part of the HTML compatibility

... and that Mozilla, at least when treating it as tag soup, needs
conformance with that particular guideline.

At present, I think that checking for this would be outside the scope of
tasks that the Validator is supposed to perform. At some stage it might
be expanded to perform as a lint, but for the time being it is just a

As <a name="foo" /> is valid, there is no fault in the validator not
remarking on it.

David Dorward       <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/>   <http://dorward.me.uk/>