Re: Validation & errors

From: Pete Prodoehl <pete.prodoehl@cygnusinteractive.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:06:25 -0500
To: Richard Cerrato <rcerrato@highvision.net>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

Richard Cerrato wrote:

> Somehow I find it difficult to have much faith in the validation done
at http://validator.w3.org/ since I tried to validate http://www.w3.org/
and the results show 18 errors. This kinda makes me wonder if any of this
works or if anyone cares as long as the page displays the way the author
intended.
> Thank you for the insight on just what w3c validation is really worth.

Richard, I just checked using:

   http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A//www.w3.org/

and it says: This Page Is Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict!

Now, if anything, this shows the need for better validation tools.

I don't know what the W3C uses to author or manage it's content, but I
know of some systems that will attempt to validate code, or at least do
sanity checks for well-formedness first.

Even the most clued in people often have small errors slip by. Expecting
everyone to write error free code all the time is something we'd all
like to see (especially in software we use everyday) but if there were
errors, they appear to be fixed, and if there are errors in the future,
I hope they too will be quickly fixed.

I think that people care, and people are trying to good quality code,
but no one is perfect every time.

Pete