Re: WWW Validator: Bad Hostname for shlomif.il.eu.org

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:50:38 +0300
To: Shlomi Fish <shlomif@iglu.org.il>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org, hostmaster@il.eu.org

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 14:01, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> On Sunday 18 April 2004 16:10, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>
> > Well, I'm not a DNS expert but it looks like a DNS problem at your end
> > to me.  I've tried running "host shlomif.il.eu.org" on many different
> > servers in many different geographical locations; most of them just
> > return "Host shlomif.il.eu.org not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)" always, while
> > some of them first resolve it to 192.117.122.34 on the first run, but
> > return the "not found" on subsequent ones.
>
> Hmmm... guess it is a global problem.

Well, I still think it's your local DNS configuration problem, not a
global one ;)

>  Have you tried the same for linuxclub.il.eu.org?

That seems to resolve everywhere I've tried.

>  In any case, I'm talking with the il.eu.org hostmaster
> about that and it is possible we have identfied the problem. It may take some
> time until it is fixed.

As pointed out by Jon Ribbens elsewhere in this thread [1], the
squish.net DNS checker [2] might be useful in debugging the problem.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2004Apr/0098.html
[2] http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/