Re: Validating password protected pages

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:03:49 +0300
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 18:07, Greg Westin wrote:
> I can't seem to get my pages protected by digest authentication to
> validate properly.  Does the W3C validator not support digest
> authentication, or is there some other problem?

Not 100% sure, but I think it should Just Work(tm).  Basic
authentication works just fine, and as libwww-perl supports also digest
authentication.  I don't have anything to test digest against right now.
>   The realm and site names
> show up wrong in the authentication window, which might be part of the
> problem?  Rather than something like "Restricted Area", it shows
> "httpsitename.dom.ain-Restricted Area" as the realm, and
> "validator.w3.org" as the site name (where sitename.dom.ain is the name of
> the site I'm attempting to validate).

Those are munged on purpose, ISTR it has something to do with preventing
the authentication information being sent somewhere where it wasn't
meant later in the user's browser session.