Re: Custom DTD for case-insensitive ID values ?

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:13:33 +0300 (EEST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Philip TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP] wrote:

> Slight problem, Jukka : IDs are no longer required to be unique.

Yes, that's exactly the way to allow ID values that differ in case only.
It removes the uniquess requirement.

> What I had wanted was that they should still be required to be
> unique, but that uniqueness should imply case-sensitivity (in this
> context, at least); is that possible, do you think ?

In a DTD, no. The case sensitivity rules are set in the SGML declaration
(in the naming rules), and I don't think there's a way to tell the W3C
validator use something different from the reference concrete syntax,
which has NAMECASE GENERAL YES, thereby making all names case insensitive.
And if you could change this, it would affect _all_ names.