Re: Custom DTD for case-insensitive ID values ?

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Jim Ley wrote:

> We have nothing but your assertion that it was valid, I'm afraid whilst I
> have a lot of trust in you, your failure to provide a URL of the document in
> question, isn't very productive,

OK, fair comment, especially since the bug is not reproducible quite as
simply as I thought. Merely changing the id attribute type from ID to NAME
wasn't actually enough. But running the validator on
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/id.html
demonstrates the problem. (It also has NOBR added to %special, something
that I normally do when using a customized DTD. Presumably the validator
chokes on its internal limitation - this _has_ been reported years ago I
think - and in this particular case fails to even tell this.)

> That that the validator reported it as _not valid_ when the document was,
> your above example only demonstrates the HTML.Version feature/bug, which I
> certainly knew about, indeed I'd reported it a year or so ago.

Well, _I_ didn't, and neither did most of us. The question is whether it
makes sense to report bugs if they are not fixed but instead
_deliberate_ bugs are being introduced and advertized as enhancements.
(Yes, I am referring to the Beta version that intentionally flags valid
pages as invalid.)