Re: Custom DTD for case-insensitive ID values ?

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Jim Ley wrote:

> You supplied a document which contained an HTML.version entity that was
> that, do you not think it's reasonable for an HTML validator to use that
> entity to make its reports more readable?

No, I don't. Why would an entity declaration have such an (undocumented)
effect?

And it's announced as being "MarkUp Validation Service", admittedly
without saying what exactly it means. All the explanations seem
to be more obscure than the title.

> The key information "not valid" is there.

So you mean it is essentially correct in saying that a valid document is
not valid?

> Do you have a relevant test-case, so other people can see this behaviour, it
> sounds like a bug to me, if the validator thinks it's invalid, it should
> list the errors.

I think I have already presented sufficient evidence of an error.
I'm not particularly interested in creating reports of other errors
just for the sake of reporting them. Well, here's a simple demo:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cs.tut.fi%2F%7Ejkorpela%2Fhtml%2Fval.html
The document itself is
and the validator happily reports:
"This Page Is Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!"

I'm sure that people who are responsible for the validator will see the
problems and the solutions more clearly than I do, if only they consider
the confusion between (markup) validation and HTML versions and the
inadequacy of the tricks involved.