Re: Custom DTD for case-insensitive ID values ?

From: Philip TAYLOR [PC336/H-XP] <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:33:02 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org
Cc: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>

Jim Ley wrote:

> "Philip TAYLOR [PC336/H-XP]" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote in message
> > Well, the only access required to these IDs is for the "visibility"
> > attribute of their associated DIVs to be toggled by JavaScript.
> > Since JS /is/ case sensitive
>
> but the name/id is not JS, so the case-sensitivity of the javascript is
> irrelevant to the question in hand, if HTML says name="test" and name="Test"
> are the same, then javascript DOM's are free to treat them the same, and you
> will meet a browser that does.  I think it's unlikely that your script is
> remotely robust, in fact as it seems likely from your other post that you're
> using dreamweaver then experience has shown it's not at all robust.

Well, I do use DW with considerable caution, but to be fair to Macromedia
they seem to have invested considerable effort into researching browser
peculiarities, and in general their code is an excellent starting point
for browser-independent coding techniques.  I have also found that NS 4.79
in particular is incredibly sensitive to variations in coding style,
and a single "style='...'" added to code generated by DW can cause a page
which previously worked flawlessly in all three major browsers to suddenly
behave insanely in NS4.79 (e.g., all absolutely positioned layers suddenly
lose their positioning info.).

But this is getting pretty much off-topic for WWW-Validator, so I'll pursue
it no further on-list.

** Phil.