ampersands in hrefs

From: Jemaleddin Cole <jemaleddin@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 05:37:50 -0400
To: www-validator@w3.org

Hey,

Was testing out the beta validator (loving the fussy parsing) and
I kept getting errors because I'm linking to a page like this:

  ...href="www.foo.com/cgi/test?name=value&name2=value2"

The validator tells me something like this:

  cannot generate system identifier for general entity "name2"

I don't even know why the validator would look inside the contents
of an href, but seeing that it does, am I doing something wrong?  Is
there a proper way to escape ampersands inside a url?

Thanks for all your hard work,

Jemal