"Fall -back" versus "tentative validation" (Was Re: [ANN] 0.6.2 Beta #1 of the W3C Markup Validator)

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 17:52:35 +0200
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Nicolas Roeser <n-roeser@gmx.net>

Nicolas, all.

On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 16:43 Europe/Budapest, Nicolas Roeser
wrote:
>> A second large(ish) change in this version is the addion of a
>> "fallback"
>> modifer option for the DOCTYPE and Charset Override functions. With
>> the
>> Fallback option selected the Override function changes to a Fallback
>> such that
>> instead of forcibly overriding an existing DOCTYPE or Charset label,
>> the
>> Validator will insert the selected DOCTYPE/Charset if, and _only_ if,
>> one did
>> not allready exist in the document.
>
> I think the fallback feature may come handy for many people who
> produce/have sites without a DOCTYPE/charset declared.

Hmm for this type of users I believe what's handy is the other new
feature (tentative validation with a default charset/doctype in the
absence of proper declaration), whereas Fallback is probably more
interesting for tools interacting with the validator.

--
Olivier