Re: [ANN] 0.6.2 Beta #1 of the W3C Markup Validator

From: Nicolas Roeser <n-roeser@gmx.net>
Date: 24 May 2003 16:43:09 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hello everyone,

> *** Mark Well #2
>
> A second large(ish) change in this version is the addion of a "fallback"
> modifer option for the DOCTYPE and Charset Override functions. With the
> Fallback option selected the Override function changes to a Fallback such that
> instead of forcibly overriding an existing DOCTYPE or Charset label, the
> Validator will insert the selected DOCTYPE/Charset if, and _only_ if, one did
> not allready exist in the document.

If you use the fallback, you may see the following message:

No Character Encoding Found!
 Falling back to "[selected charset]" (explain...).

The text "explain..." links to
<http://validator.w3.org:8001/docs/errors.html#fbc>, but that anchor
doesn't exist.

I think the fallback feature may come handy for many people who
produce/have sites without a DOCTYPE/charset declared. However, it's
possible that they don't even bother to fix that when we offer fallback,
"because it works as is"... Well, should we care? :-|

In my opinion, it should be marked a little more strongly if we use
fallback. What about a red/yellow box for the text "No [charset/DOCTYPE]
Found! Falling Back [...]"?

Yours,

Nicolas

PS: Terje, where can we find your OpenPGP public key?
--
Nicolas Roeser