Character set specification

From: Philip TAYLOR [PC87S-O/XP] <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:13:35 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org
CC: software-questions@infoseek.com

In order to satisfy the validator, I modified the HTTP headers
sent by IIS for .HTML documents to specify

rather than

as previously, as a result of which my campus search engine
(Infoseek/Inktomi/Verity)  refused to index the pages,
diagnosing them as "406 : not acceptable".  Since searching
is even more important than validation, I have with some
regret re-configured IIS to once again send

Since it would clearly be impossible to modify all 35000 documents
to use an HTTP-EQUIV meta-statement, can the validator team please
suggest any other way of allowing the validator to perceive the
documents as having a defined character set whilst allowing
Infoseek/Inktomi/Verity to continue to index the pages ?

Philip Taylor, RHBNC