Re: Character set specification

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 09:36:53 +0100 (BST)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

> (chop)

406 is returned by the server, meaning that it hasn't got a document
that can satisfy the request.

In this instance, I would infer that the the search engine bot
has sent an Accept: header which lists "text/html" but not
"text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1".  The server, either through
brokenness or misconfiguration, is requiring an exact match
and refusing to respond without one.

If a later version of ultraseek fixes it, I guess that means they've
given up trying to fight against broken servers, and either added a
wildcard or dropped content negotiation altogether.

--
Nick Kew

In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html