Re: Problem with the Validator

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:47:42 EDT, Pinedo420@aol.com wrote:

> It says that there is no attribute BORDERCOLOR for the TABLE tag.

Your page declares itself to be HTML 4.01 (Transitional), so it should
follow the HTML 4.01 standard.

According to the HTML 4.01 standard, table-elements can have these
attributes:

 summary
 align
 width
 id, class
 lang
 title
 style
 onclick, ondblclick, onmousedown, onmouseup, onmouseover, onmousemove,
  onmouseout, onkeypress, onkeydown, onkeyup
 bgcolor
 frame, rules, border
 cellspacing, cellpadding

  <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#edef-TABLE>

As you can see "bordercolor" isn't in the list, so it's not allowed -
and the validator tells you that.

You can probably easily get a similar effect by using a stylesheet.

> It works just fine.

That, of course, depends on how lenient the browser is.

> Another so-called "error" is the there is no attribute "COLOR" for
> the HR tag.

Again, the standard says that these attributes are allowed for the
hr-element:

 align
 noshade
 size
 width
 id, class
 lang
 title
 style
 onclick, ondblclick, onmousedown, onmouseup, onmouseover,
  onmousemove, onmouseout, onkeypress, onkeydown, onkeyup

  <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/graphics.html#edef-HR>

Again: color is not one of the allowed attributes, and the validator
tells you that.

You can probably easily get the same effect by using a stylesheet.

> Now that's weird how I have many color attributes in my other HR
> tags (from the same page!) but it only singles out this one tag.

What happens if you remove that element, does it complain about one of
the others? If not, I guess that is would be a bug.

  Best regards,

--
 "Let me forget about today until tomorrow"                   Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk