Re: TARGET attribute

From: Corey Jackson <cjackson@jaxsncorp.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 00:27:43 -0400
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Hello.

I am developing a new web site and have developed the entire application with constant checking of HTML 4.01 strict DTD. By using CSS, I was able to keep content and presentation seperate, which I wish everyone would do!  I was nearly completed my site when I started making a few links that would open in a new window (_blank) and then when I re-validated I was astonished to find out that target was not part of the strict specification.  I can read, although I see some people in the forum that I was in cannot read! :)  I do see that the Target attribute is not a deprecated attribute.  However, it is defined in the Loose and Frameset DTD.  I really do not want to have to conform to the loose DTD.  I do not think anybody should even be able to use deprecated elements by now!  And if I conform to the loose DTD, then I may accidently use a deprecated element since I've been developing with HTML since version 2, and I would really not want to do this.  Plus, I am very proud to have my page linked to the validator as a Strict HTML 4.01 document.  There's no way in hell I'm changing to a loose DTD.  I will sooner create a javascript function to link to different windows.  However, since this seems to be a concern to some web developers, I was wondering if there is a solution in place to this target attribute.  Does the XHTML spec fix this?  Or is there any chance of having the target attribute put back into the strict DTD?

I would appreciate your feedback, as you guys are the experts!

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,

Corey Jackson
Programmer/Analyst