Re: <z:> <z;>

From: John Dunlop <john@johndunlop.info>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:14:00 +0000
To: "John J. Chew III" <jjchew@math.toronto.edu>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

John J. Chew III wrote:

> Could someone please tell me why it is that the markup validation
> service script gives a helpful message and explanation if one typos
> a semicolon into a tag: <z;>, but gives a truncated message and no
> explanation if it's a colon: <z:>?

I suspect it's for much the same reason why a truncated message is
given when a colon is used in entity reference names. I mentioned this
back in 2003-05-17, and was given an explanation. It might be
informative to you.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2003May/0053.html

The Markup Validation Service v0.6.5 [Beta #1] provides a more
complete message.
http://validator.w3.org:8001/

--
Jock