Re: Updated OS X install instructions

Stephen,

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003, Stephen Yoch wrote:

> I've updated the os x install instructions and have better indentified
> some of the problems I encountered. Olivier, thanks again for the detailed
> feedback.
>
> http://www.mediaville.net/articles/validator/
> (Please disregard the bit on installing the perl modules through cpan.
> That should be removed.)

You're welcome.
I am happy that such useful material is being created.

> My main question about the validator relates to the versions that are
> included in the tarball and the ones that seem to work on OS X.

This is my main gripe about your guide at the moment, that because of
this problem your guide, albeit very good, is version-specific and may
become outdated as we roll in new versions.

I am cruelly lacking time to go and debug the problem that you had with
the tarball version. As far as I can tell from the error logs you gave
in a previous message, the errors you get are actually rather harmless
warnings and should not make everything "invalid".

Our best option may to keep things as is until we are able to put the
development version into production.

> If I say to use a later version should I be using a different version of
> validator.conf?

I would not recommend that. Using the dev check file if the release
version does not work may make sense, but I would not recommend a mixed
release/development installation, especially if this goes into an
installation guide!

> Thanks again for all the help. Please let me know if this version seems
> more straightforward than the last (or not). I eliminated the duplication
> of the htdocs in two places, so it's a bit more streamlined.

I find it good and clear. I may have more comments for you later, since
I am currently working on compiling some generic installation guide (and
planning, obviously, to link to your article and the message sent by
Nick Talbot a few days ago), but in the meantime it's a very good start.

Thanks again, I am quite certain your article will make it easier for
people to install the validator for their local needs. It is *a good
thing* (TM).

Cheers,
--
olivier