validator suggestion

From: Don Russell <drussel2@san.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:42:59 -0800
To: www-validator@w3.org

A very simple, yet useful enhancement to the validator is the addition
of some meta tags to make the results more useful for automated
validation.

For example, I write programs that produce (x)html.. it would be great
if I could add a step to my process that validates the results and the
results easily read by a program.

In the case of a successful test where the validated page meets all the
requirements use a meta variable to return the link that may be included
in the page:

href=&quot;http://validator.w3.org/check/referer&quot;&gt;&lt;img
border=&quot;0&quot;
          src=&quot;http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401&quot;
          alt=&quot;Valid HTML 4.01!&quot; height=&quot;31&quot; width=&quot;88&quot;&gt;&lt;/a&gt;">

The program could read the icon meta variable, translate the meta charters (&lt; etc) back to html and then add the html anchor could be added automatically.

In the other case, where the page doesn't validate properly,

Thank you for your consideration of this idea... I think it is generally
usefull, and simple to implement.

Best regards,
Don Russell