Re: checklink%3A%20

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: 08 Aug 2003 16:50:01 +0300
To: mcornet@student.fsa.ucl.ac.be
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 10:33, Matthieu Cornet wrote:

> I wanted just to send my thank you for your link
> checker, very very very useful!

Thanks!

> The only negative point I have is that it'll be
> interresting that the link checked open in a new
> window, because if it doesn't, the web page open in the
> current search window and all the work already done has
> to be remade...

My personal opinion is that the user should be able to control where the
links are opened into.  I'm not aware of a browser that can display
multiple documents simultaneously but would not provide the option to
open any link in a new window (right-click->open in new window, or
middle-click etc).  On the other hand, the opposite isn't very widely
possible; ie. many browsers won't allow users to disable "pop-up"
windows.  For more information, see eg
<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/#tech-avoid-pop-ups> and
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-WCAG20-20030624/#consistent-behavior>.

Of course, there /could/ be an option in the input form whether links in
the results page should be opened in new window(s), but then again, see
"The Question of Preferences" at
<http://ometer.com/free-software-ui.html> :)

Cheers,
--