Re: validation of whitespace before the XML prologue

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 02:50:56 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: Jan Egil Kristiansen <janegil@landsbank.fo>

Jan Egil Kristiansen <janegil@landsbank.fo> wrote:

>I tried to validate an ISO-8859-1 encoded XML page with that starts with
>The error message was "I was not able to extract a character encoding
>Maybe "Document has to start with BOM or '<'." might be easier to

That result is from a combination of different factors, which is what
causes the error message to be somewhat odd. We're investigating ways to
deal better with that. Thanks for your feedback on this.

Now Playing "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" by "Nina Simone"",
 from the album "Feeling Good - The Very Best Of".