Re: HTML 4.0 Transitional validation not completely compliant to

From: Praktikant (e-Health) <e-Health.Praktikant@med.siemens.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 06:11:15 -0400 (EDT)
To: "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>

>Note that http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/ points to the HTML 4.01
>specification, not the 4.0 for which you use the DTD (as a matter of
>fact I strongly suggest you use HTML4.01 rather than the one you're

i am merely checking code provided by another enterprise, so i have no
influence about
the DTD.
i personally use xhtml 1.0 :-)

>As for your problem, without the HTML code the validator
>claims is invalid I can't tell you more than "check
>for the list of tags with which you are allowed to use the valign

the code used is:

<TD class=leftNav vAlign=top>

and the document you pointed out to shows valign to be allowed in:

so, it appears to be a validator bug? or does the validator not check for
html 4.0 anymore but uses
html 4.01 instead? i am asking because i am quite sure that valign is not
allowed in there anymore.

claus kick