Re: HTML 4.0 Transitional validation not completely compliant to

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:58:43 +0900
To: "Praktikant (e-Health)" <e-Health.Praktikant@med.siemens.de>
Cc: "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002, Praktikant (e-Health) wrote:
> Current Doctype: HTML 4.0 <http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/>
> Transitional
> Error: there is no attribute "VALIGN" for this element (in this HTML
> version)
>
> however,
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html#adef-valign
> does contain the "valign" attribute for <table> (th, td, tr...) elements .
> am i unable to read properly or is this a minor bug?

Note that http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/ points to the HTML 4.01
specification, not the 4.0 for which you use the DTD (as a matter of
fact I strongly suggest you use HTML4.01 rather than the one you're
using).

As for your problem, without the HTML code the validator
claims is invalid I can't tell you more than "check
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-html40-19980424/index/attributes.html
for the list of tags with which you are allowed to use the valign
attribute".

--
Olivier Thereaux - W3C
http://www.w3.org/People/olivier | http://yoda.zoy.org