Re: W3C "cannot interpret as utf-8"

From: Nick Kew <nick@fenris.webthing.com>
Date: 1 Sep 2002 11:37:55 -0000
To: www-validator@w3.org

In article <n6l3nuso0b71kdg7mr6lemgls8bi20bh5i@4ax.com>, one of infinite monkeys
	at the keyboard of Charles LePage <chuck@comiclist.com> wrote:
> When I attempt to validate this web page,
> "http://www.comiclist.com/lists/search.html", at the W3C validator, I get
> lines 58, 59 it contained some byte(s) that I cannot interpret as utf-8.
> Please check both the content of the file and the character encoding
> indication."  This is the section I think it is having an issue with:
>
> 58 <option selected="selected" value="ANY">Find ANY word</option>
> 59 <option value="ALL">Find ALL words </option>
> 60 <option value="EXACT">Find EXACT phrase </option>
>
> I can't see what the issue is.  Any ideas?

For want of a better explanation, I'd guess it's your \xa0 characters.
That is certainly a bug in the validator, and since the development
version does the same thing I'm taking the liberty of crossposting
to www-validator.

Both Page Valet and the WDG validator are happy with your page.

--
Nick Kew

Available for contract work - Programming, Unix, Networking, Markup, etc.
.