MathML validation

From: Robert Miner <RobertM@dessci.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:48:19 -0600
To: www-validator@w3.org
Cc: robertm@dessci.com

I just tried the validator beta on a couple of MathML test documents.
Here is what I found:

The validator returns a message that it doesn't have a DOCTYPE and
stops.  I think that's fine, though a little inconvenient.  When we
put together the current version of the MathML test suite, we had to
leave out the DOCTYPE to work around a bug IE's XML parser, which is
now fixed in SP2.  However, the majority of the testsuite files
haven't been updated.

These test suite pages do declare the appropriate namespaces though,
so that might be a future improvement to the doc type detection
algorithm to consider.

The validator returns a message that it doesn't handle the
content-type was application/mathml+xml.  I believe that is the MIME
type one is supposed to use for MathML, so it might be good if you
could recognize that.

This page does have a DOCTYPE and works fine.  The validator catches
an error in fact.

I hope this helps.  Thanks for your efforts to support MathML.

Dr. Robert Miner                                RobertM@dessci.com
MathML 2.0 Specification Co-editor                    651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com