Re: Beta: XML Output

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 00:36, Karl Dubost wrote:

> My problem is that people will start to develop things and it's
> neither to let people develop on things which are not stable, because
> if you have said before that it was a BETA and that could change,
> they will argue that it's not backward compatible.
>
> So we can move fast forward but with the risk of making mistakes. If
> we do that We have also to document to explain good practices.

http://tidakada.com/archives?p=1929&c=1

Guess people /really/ want this kind of interface to the Validator. :-)

I'm going to try to take a look at this today and see if I can clean it
up, write a DTD for it, and document it. If after that everyone is happy
with it we should probably just release it completely (i.e. move it up
from "experimental" to "beta"); otherwise, shutting it down (i.e.
disable the XML, but still return the HTTP headers as people are using
those in a semi-supported way) seem like the least destructive option
("nip it in the bud").

But I'm feeling really ambivalent about this so comments and opinions
would be most welcome at this point! So far I have Karl and Bjoern down
as feeling we should just disable it (with caveats) and nobody really in
favour of updating it/leaving it running...

FWIW, a real SOAP interface to the Validator was one of the things I was
contemplating for the next version (depending on how hard it turned out
to be to implement), so there is a chance the XML version (this usage of
it, anyways) would obsolete itself then.