Re: Public beta test of the W3C Markup Validator

At 14:53 02/10/25 +0200, Chris Lilley wrote:
>On Friday, October 25, 2002, 2:19:26 PM, Martin wrote:

>MD> Sniffing on content and sniffing on extensions are not that different.
>
>Ah, so you count all server setup as sniffing. That seems tobe a
>significant dilution of the term.

No, sorry. Any single server is set up the way it is set up.
But I thought that what you suggested was that we use the
server settings to decide how to type file uploads. While
this is okay for actual uploads to a server (because there
is no specific protocol for such uploads, and we just have
to assume external knowledge), I don't think it's okay
for uploads to the validator, which come from any arbitrary
third party which may use extensions rather different from
those used at W3C.

>MD> What I'm saying is that if we want to avoid sniffing, then we should
>MD> do that altogether, not replace one way with another way that looks
>MD> better for the moment.
>
>Still not clear - every file on our server is served using what
>you call 'sniffing' ...

No, there is a difference between server setup based on extensions
and sniffing of unrelated third-party files.

>MD> The strict ascii default for text/foo+xml
>MD> was a rather explicit requirement from the IETF.
>
>Thus, text/*+xml should never be used because it contradicts the XML
>specification. So, it should just be deleted. if they won't delete it,
>it should be warned against.

I agree that text/*+xml doesn't have that many uses. But it does
not contradict the XML specification. For details, please see
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-guessing-with-ext-info.

>So as I said, one way to make the validator work best within the
>constraints of incorrect MIME types being set by file upload would be
>to use our own server mime.types file to create the MIME type, as it
>the file was being served from our server (which it is, briefly).

Again, if, as it seems, mime types on file upload isn't reliable,
I have no problem ignoring them. But pretending that the file is
served from our server doesn't look like a solution to me.
(The file is never actually served from our server, not ever
briefly.)

Regards,    Martin.