Re: Public beta test of the W3C Markup Validator

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:55:36 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>

Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

>Ah, so you count all server setup as sniffing. That seems tobe a
>significant dilution of the term.

No, it's not "sniffing"; it's "guessing". And it's actively and
demonstrably harmfull, not to mention completely unmaintainable.

To wit, MSIE will treat will treat a document called "foo.gif" as HTML
regardless of any "image/gif" MIME type if it finds the string "<html"
somewhere in the first 256 bytes of the file. As Jim mentions, it's
impossible to know whether the author intended text/html or
application/xhtml+xml, or even image/svg+xml, for something with the
extension ".html". It could very well be intended as "XHTML+SVG"! Or not
have a filename extensions at all. Or...

--
I'm [less] than thrilled by the [VM situation]; all sides of it. I [think]
we need a [fork] in that area so that you guys would stop stepping on each