Re: Beta: Fatal Error: No DOCTYPE specified!

"Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote in message

> >The XML Declaration is problematic in that current browsers (FSVO
> >"current") tend to do undesireable things when faced with one; and
XHTML
> >1.0 also reccomends against including one in "Appendix C" documents.
>
> No, see Bertilo's mail. The only noteworthy undesireable thing
connected
> to the XML declaration is that Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows
> 6.0 switches back to bugwards-compatible processing of XHTML documents
> if they contain a XML declaration.

Microsoft PocketIE displays the PI to all us poor users of the product,
that is a much more undesirable thing than box model changes.

> Please try counting the number of W3C
> documents that already use an XML declaration.

Yes, most of them aren't Appendix C either for other more serious
reasons, even if they do validate (which to be honest most of w3.org
doesn't).  If   people wish to deliver XHTML, they can use
application/xhtml+xml when the PI problem disappears.  I think the
validator should do everything it can to discourage garbage appearing on
peoples screens.

Jim.