Re: [beta] suggestions

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:27:26 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>

Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> wrote:

>* the list of DTDs available on
>http://validator.w3.org:8001/sgml-lib/catalog Is not up to date. Remove
>this link or update the list. I'm also updating the list of valid dtds

We've split the list between SGML-based DTDs and XML-based ones. I think
this needs some thought to get right. Perhaps the links to this file should
be removed pending a permanent resolution?

>* Title "HTML validation Service" move it to "W3C Markup Validation

Fixed for all instances I could find.

>* Fatal Error: No Doctype specified!
>http://validator.w3.org:8001/check?uri=http://www.google.com/ The
>example which is given does not contain encoding information, but if you
>try to validate a document without encoding information, the validator
>will say that it's not correct.

The example shows a HTML snippet; encoding information should be in the
HTTP headers. IOW the two are not related (and I seriously don't want to
encourage the use of <meta> for no good reason).

Interviewer: "In what language do you write your algorithms?"
    Abigail: English.
Interviewer: "What would you do if, say, Telnet didn't work?"
    Abigail: Look at the error message.