Re: Validator and XML namespaces

From: David Emmerson <david_emmerson@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 10:41:07 +0100
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
Cc: "Miles Elam" <miles@geekspeak.org>

> Reference URL: http://geekspeak.corkdog.com/shouldvalidate.html
>
> Shows erroneous errors about namespace declaration -- "xmlns is not a
> valid attribute".

From http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/Overview.html#well-formed

 The XHTML namespace may be used with other XML namespaces as
 per [XMLNS], although such documents are not strictly conforming
 XHTML 1.0 documents as defined above.

>After all, how
> are folks supposed to include SVG and MathML content?

Using a doctype which contains those. Some work has already
been done, http://www.w3.org/TR/XHTMLplusMathMLplusSVG/

An off topic comment, but you might want to check the page with
CSS and image support turned off. I think that the
alt="Company logo" should be alt="Company" as that's what
the images are conveying, for example.

Hope this helps,

  David Emmerson.