Validator and XML namespaces

From: Miles Elam <miles@geekspeak.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:04:38 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org

Reference URL: http://geekspeak.corkdog.com/shouldvalidate.html

Shows erroneous errors about namespace declaration -- "xmlns is not a
valid attribute".

As it turns out, they are in fact extra declarations that are artifacts
of a Simplified DocBook and custom schema XSLT translation.  However,
at most they should generate a warning that the namespace declarations
are never used.  It should absolutely not be an error.  After all, how
are folks supposed to include SVG and MathML content?

I'd like to include the "Valid XHTML 1.0" button on my page, but it
seems a bit awkward when it shows up with errors.

Thanks.

- Miles Elam
- Geek Speak on KUSP FM 88.9