Re: Fault in icon code

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: 04 Oct 2002 19:31:20 +0300
To: Per Erlandsson <perland@neteject.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 11:06, Per Erlandsson wrote:

> After successful validation of a web page, I inserted the HTML code for
> the Valid HTML icon provided in (http://validator.w3.org/). Then
> running the Link Checker I obtained error due to a broken link
> (http://validator.w3.org/check/referer) supplied for the icon.Using
> this URI explicitly in a web browser doesn˙t cause any problems since
> there is a direction to http://validator.w3.org/.

This happens because the checklink doesn't currently send the HTTP
"Referer" header, and <http://validator.w3.org/check/referer> depends on
that.  If it's not present, it issues a redirect to
<http://validator.w3.org/>.  And checklink treats 301's as errors...
kind of embarrassing.  I'll look into this.

To summarize, there's nothing wrong with the referrer icon link, it's a
checklink "feature" you're seeing here.

--
\/ille Skyttä
ville.skytta at iki.fi