css and valid css

From: Ted Kroiter <tk43@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 23:14:02 -0500 (EST)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

when I check my css sheets against your validator, it says no problem but
adds that it needs to be valid html. What does this mean? That it has to
have the usual html doc tags, head, title, body, closing body and head etc?
I link my external ss from within the html docs but the ss themselves do not
have a valid html structure??? really puzzled by this. I checked your own
css sheets and they dont start with <html> <head> etc either ...???