Re: css and valid css

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 07:25:36 +0900
To: Ted Kroiter <tk43@optusnet.com.au>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

Hello, Ted.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002, Ted Kroiter wrote:
> when I check my css sheets against your validator

Which validator? I assume you're talking about the CSS validator (this
is the list for the other validators, by the way, the CSS validator has
its own list, www-validator-css...).

>, it says no problem but adds that it needs to be valid html.
>What does this mean?

It means that if you embed your stylesheet within an (X)html document,
using the <style> tag, then the HTML document has to be valid or the CSS
validator will choke.

It does in no way mean that you have to add HTML markup to your CSS
files.

Hope this helps.

--
Olivier Thereaux - W3C