Re: patch procdure

From: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 02:03:45 +0100
To: "Mario J. Lia" <antilyrical@spamcop.net>
cc: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>

Mario J. Lia <antilyrical@spamcop.net> wrote:

>I made a few small changes to the validor check file and would like to
>submit my changes for "peer review" ;-)  What is the best way for me to
>do it? I can either generate a patch file from diff, I would just need
>to know what diff options should be used. Or I could make the change via
>CVS, although that seems like a bigger step, and I think more people
>need to see the code.

Unidiff format is preferred. Generate your patches -- preferably by using
"cvs diff -u" in $CVSROOT/validator/ or in $CVSROOT/validator/cgi-bin/ if
you only touch the "check" or "checklink" CGIs -- and send them to the

Please try to keep changes isolated, one patch per logical change, instead
of a single patch that lumps together multiple unrelated changes (unless
it's very small changes and/or stuff like whitespace/spelling fixes).

Do try to respect the existing coding-style, but don't fret over it. I
apply patches manually in any case so I can clean up any inconsistency.

Do be very clear about the level of testing and general quality of the
code! It's ok to submit half-baked, pre-alpha, code as long as it's clearly
labelled as such. Of course, we prefer fully-formed, well tested and
polished code, but we ain't too picky! :-)

Do also describe the changes you've made; obvious changes are not
necessarily equally obvious to others. No need for a dissertation, but err
to the side of verbosity when explaining What, Why, and How.

Worst case just send your entire changed file, or even a tarball, and I/we
will do the diff locally (but do try to generate the diffs instead if you

If you believe that will stop spammers, you're sadly misled. Rusty hooks,
rectally administered fuel oil enemas, and the gutting of their machines,
*that* stops spammers!                                         -- Saundo