Re: Strict Not so strict.

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 18:42:21 +0100 (BST)
To: Jamey Weare <jamey.weare@santafe.cc.fl.us>
cc: <www-validator@w3.org>

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Jamey Weare wrote:

> I was demonstrating to my students the validator for
> strict XHTML today and found it to not be so strict.
> It allowed align, valign, border, and width attributes.

Yes, HTML Strict is a halfway-house between legacy and cleansed.
It allows presentational attributes on some elements.

> I was under the understanding that all of those attributes
> were deprecated. I seem to remember these being found
> as errors in the past. Is there a bug or is it now allowed?

They are errors if applied to an element where they are not allowed.

If you want stricter validation, strip the DTD down a bit, or use
another DTD.

--
Nick Kew

Available for contract work - Programming, Unix, Networking, Markup, etc.