Re: The validator complains about xmlns="..."

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 14:38:58 -1000
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
/ Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> was heard to say:
| * Norman Walsh wrote:
|>I notice that the validator complains about xmlns "attributes" on elements.
|>Namespace declarations aren't attributes and it shouldn't be complaining :-)
|
| Actually it must complain.
|
|   Validator:
|
|     in  < document instance
|     in  < document type definition
|     out > report whether instance matches definition
|
| The XHTML DTDs define the html element to take an optional xmlns
| attribute with the fixed value "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml", they do
| not do for any other element, hence the Validator complains, according
| to XML 1.0 and the XHTML specifications the document is not valid if any
| other element has an xmlns attribute specification. There is just no XML
| Namespaces support in XML 1.0 DTDs.

Mumble. Namespaces and DTDs don't play together very well, that's a
well known problem. I'll grant that if all it's doing is DTD
validation, its report is accurate. I do think it would be a more
useful validation service though if it handled xmlns attributes a
little more in the spirit of the Namespaces REC.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Vision is the art of seeing things