Re: The validator complains about xmlns="..."

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 02:32:10 +0200
To: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
* Norman Walsh wrote:
>I notice that the validator complains about xmlns "attributes" on elements.
>Namespace declarations aren't attributes and it shouldn't be complaining :-)

Actually it must complain.

  Validator:

    in  < document instance
    in  < document type definition
    out > report whether instance matches definition

The XHTML DTDs define the html element to take an optional xmlns
attribute with the fixed value "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml", they do
not do for any other element, hence the Validator complains, according
to XML 1.0 and the XHTML specifications the document is not valid if any
other element has an xmlns attribute specification. There is just no XML
Namespaces support in XML 1.0 DTDs.